The lawnmower is an essential garden tool. However, one of the things that discourage most people from actually getting one is the overflowing number of lawn mowers available. After deciding whether to buy gasoline or electric mower, one then has to choose a model.
With this guide, we hope to help you choosing a lawn mower.
#1 – Types of Lawn Mowers
Lawnmowers work by a sharp blade spinning quickly over the grass to clip it. However, the energy powering this activity can come from different types. Most modern lawn mowers are powered by electricity, gas or hand.
(i) Electric Lawn Mowers
These lawnmowers have electric motors that power the spinning blade. They usually come with cables that can be connected to a power source before use & cordless models. Cordless electric lawn mowers are more convenient as you there is burden to bearing long cord. Here you can read the expert’s review & recommendations on cordless lawn mowers.
- Electric lawnmowers are quiet and can be used in populated areas.
- They are less expensive and straightforward to maintain.
- They are environment-friendly because they don’t release toxic substances.
- Electric lawnmowers produce less power than gas mowers
- Because they’re always connected to a power source, their reach is limited.
(ii) Gasoline Lawn Mowers
Gas-powered mowers propel their cutting blade through an internal combustion engine. They generate great power and are the most common.
- Gasoline mowers produce more power and can cut thick grass
- Their reach is not limited.
- They produce so much noise
- They are expensive to maintain
- They are also much heavy to move around
(iii) Hand-Push Lawn Mowers
Hand-pushed mowers have their blades attached to the wheels by a set of gears. As you drag the mower along, the wheels turn and a part of this energy powers the cutting blade.
- They’re quiet because they don’t have a noise-making motor
- They do not pollute the air
- They are cheap to maintain
- It requires so much energy to operate
- It will be too exhausting to mow large lawns
#2 – Lawn Mower Operation
The operation mode of modern lawnmowers differ. However, many are hand-pushed, while others are driven. We also have robotic lawn mowers
(i) Hand-Driven Lawn Mowers
Hand driven lawn mowers are the most popular. They are usually pushed by the user and are perfect for mowing small lawns. Read more on GardenGrower to buy the best lawn mower for your small garden.
- Cheapest option available
- Simple to operate.
- They are not practical for large lawns
(ii) Ride-On Lawn Mowers
Ride on lawn mowers mowers are usually driven like a car. They are much larger than the hand-driven mowers and are ideal for places like golf courses.
- Great for mowing large areas
- Too big for small lawns
- Very pricey
- Cost of maintenance is high
(iii) Robotic Lawn Mowers
These are robotic machines designed to function on their own. You only need to define your space using a special wire. The robot will be able to receive signals from the wire and get guided by it. The machine is also able to deal with whatever obstacles that come its way.
- Less stressful to use
- Operation silently
- They may miss some areas
#3 – Blade Type
This is the most crucial factor when it comes to the cutting performance of a mower. Lawnmowers usually have either of two blade types: rotary blades and cylinder blades. These blades both produce good results.
(i) Rotary Lawn Mowers
These mowers have only one blade connected to a vertical shaft. The blade turns rapidly and cuts the grass by shredding it. They are best for gasses that are 2 to 4 inches long.
- Cut long and thick grass easily
- They leave the grass coarse and bruised
- Their high-speed blade can easily harm users
- They’re extremely noisy.
(ii) Cylinder/Reel Lawn Mowers
These have multiple curved blades which are connected onto a horizontal axle. The blades cut grass by pushing them onto a sharp cutting bar. This then cut the grass like scissors.
- They produce even and clean cut grass
- They are not as noisy as rotary mowers.
- They’re easy to maintain
- Not good for short grass
- Results are inconsistent on an uneven ground
- Always require you to pick obstacles from the way before use to prevent jamming.
#4 – Accessories
Many lawnmowers have certain accessories that help enhance the machine’s performance. They also increase safety and improve the appearance of the lawn. Here are some essential accessories.
Grass Catchers: This help to cage pieces of grass that are being thrown by the cutting blades as they work. They also store the waste conveniently for disposal. Most models come with this attachment. However, if yours lacks this equipment, you can always buy one.
Stripping Kits: These tools look like rollers and can be joined to the back end of a mower. They help produce a straight cut lawn
Sharpening Kits: To keep your mower’s blades in the best shape, you need sharpening kits. Luckily, they come with various mowers alongside instruction manuals and abrasive tools.
Now you know how to choose a lawn mower. When buying a lawn mower its recommended to buy from the most reputed brands to get better results & after sales services.